The Shield of Lancaster

Home Posts The Shield of Lancaster

Exemple

The Shield of Lancaster

The south wall is pierced by an arch, c. 1330, through to the chapel, first built as a monks’ chantry, and subsequently used for burials and then as a vestry. East of the arch is the upper arch of a doorway and the remains of a window, both 13th century. At the re-opening of the church after restoration in 1903 the Bishop of Carlisle suggested that the opening may have belonged to an Easter Sepulchre, housing a sculpture of the risen Christ. Supporting the west end of the arch is a shield of Lancaster, gripped by monks’ or masons’ hands.