Externally, above the keystone, is a shield of arms, placed there for Sir John Lowther in 1703, quartering the arms of Lowther with those of Lancaster, Beauchamp and Hartsop. Until 1644 the arms of Lowther were six annulets (three, two, one); in 1644 the hand of Ulster replaced the first annulet, signifying the baronetcy bestowed on Sir Christopher Lowther in that year. On the right are the arms of de Lancastre and of Hartsop (three stags’ heads cabossed and surmounted with cross crosslets) and below left those of the Beauchamps of Little Croglin (a bend, three roundels). The arms of Lancaster and Hartsop are associated in plaster escutcheons at both Sockbridge Hall and Hartsop Hall (Gilbert de Lancaster married Christina de Hertsop in about 1300 and Gerard Lowther who died in 1597 was born at Harthop Hall. Sir Christopher Lowther acquired Sockbridge through marriage in 1638. It is less clear why the Beauchamp arms are included.