The Lychgate

arsiv

Home Category : External feature

The Lychgate

The beautifully carved lychgate was erected in 1920 as a memorial to ten parishioners who fell in the war of 1914–18. It records with care not only the names of the dead but when each man died, their regiments or units, and the campaign or engagements in which they died.

Learn more about the construction and funding of this beautiful gateway here.

Read More →
Exemple

The Porch

Built in the 17th century by Moses Sisson, whose initials MS used to be faintly visible on the doorstep. In the East wall there is a fragment of a late 13th century grave slab, with a cross and above it a fragment of 12th Century chevron ornament. The main doorway into the south aisle, with its round arch of three orders, is mid 13th century, though the outer pair of door-jamb shafts is modern.

Read More →
Exemple

Externally, above the keystone, is a shield of arms, placed there for Sir John Lowther in 1703, quartering the arms of Lowther with those of Lancaster, Beauchamp and Hartsop. Until 1644 the arms of Lowther were six annulets (three, two, one); in 1644 the hand of Ulster replaced the first annulet, signifying the baronetcy bestowed on Sir Christopher Lowther in that year. On the right are the arms of de Lancastre and of Hartsop (three stags’ heads cabossed and surmounted with cross crosslets) and below left those of the Beauchamps of Little Croglin (a bend, three roundels). The arms of Lancaster and Hartsop are associated in plaster escutcheons at both Sockbridge Hall and Hartsop Hall (Gilbert de Lancaster married Christina de Hertsop in about 1300 and Gerard Lowther who died in 1597 was born at Harthop Hall. Sir Christopher Lowther acquired Sockbridge through marriage in 1638. It is less clear why the Beauchamp arms are included.

Read More →
Exemple

In the north east corner of the cemetery between the vestry and the chancel is a mounting block. The present vestry was converted from a hearse-house and stable in 1953, and enlarged in 2005.

Nearby, against the chancel wall, are the two oldest legible stones inthe graveyard, sadly divorced from their gaves. The stones and the inscriptions are similar in style, and each is to a daughter; were they friends or relations?

One reads:
‘Here lies ye body of Jane Cookson, Daughter of James Cookson, Feb: ye 22, aged 24, 1718’ and has a shield on the reverse.

The second reads ‘Here lies the body of Mary Myles, daughter of Tho. Myles departed life April ye 22nd Aged … ’ and has, on the reverse, a heart with ‘Memento mori … 1722’.

Read More →
Exemple

In the north-east  corner of the cemetery between the vestry and the chancel is a mounting block. The present vestry was converted from a hearse-house and stable in 1953, and enlarged in 2005.

Nearby, against the chancel wall, are the two oldest legible stones in the graveyard, sadly divorced from their graves. The stones and the inscriptions are similar in style, and each is to a daughter; were they friends or relations?

One reads:
‘Here lies ye body of Jane Cookson, Daughter of James Cookson, Feb: ye 22, aged 24, 1718’ and has a shield on the reverse.

The second reads ‘Here lies the body of Mary Myles, daughter of Tho. Myles departed life April ye 22nd Aged … ’ and has, on the reverse, a heart with ‘Memento mori … 1722’.

Read More →